Thursday, July 14, 2011

Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowen Boys by Kate Brian

I read the premise for this YA Romance and thought this would be really cute.  I wasn't disappointed.  I read this in a day and really enjoyed it.  Megan is an Army Brat who chooses to stay with family friends when her parents are transferred to Korea.  The only problem?  The McGowen's have 7 boys and no girls.  Megan is soccer playing tomboy but is totally self conscienous about living with them.  There are 4 brothers who attend high school with Megan: Evan, Finn, Miller, and Doug.  Evan is described as an abercrombie model who is a flirt.  Megan has a crush on Evan which is not good because not only is he supposed to be her "brother" but his girlfriend is the mean girl who is vying for Captain of the soccer team.  Finn is the artist who is the easiest to talk to and Miller and Doug are twins.  Miller has Asperger's and as the mother of an Autistic Teen myself, I celebrated the way Megan researched and was determined to seek out Miller.  It was a heartwarming side-story that I really loved.  All of the boys develop unique relationships with Megan and she brings something new to each of them.  Megan also is adjusting to moving to a totally new city, state, and high school.  She makes some good friends at school only to have a vicious rumor about her and Evan ostracize her early on.  Megan shows incredible grace and poise in dealing with this rumor situation and I would be proud if she were my daughter. This is really a book about family, friendship, and relationships.  I really enjoyed it and didn't want it to end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment