Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Beautiful Disaster by Jaime McQuire

I chose to read Beautiful Disaster because I had been hearing so many good things about the book from reviewers and bloggers that I like and respect.  The story drew me in immediately with the opening scene as something out of Fight Club.  I personally hate fighting and never understood why guys would volunteer for that kind of punishment.  That being said something about the fight scene fascinated me and pulled me in like no other book.  I related to Abby and identified with her stunned reaction yet physical attraction to Travis.  I loved the dialog between Abby and Travis.  There is nothing sexier than a man who knows what he wants and Travis is just that man.  Travis falls for Abby and Abby is determined to stay away from anything that reminds her of her drunken gambler father.  Her father was a professional Vegas Poker player who famously claimed his daughter stole his luck.  Abby is tired of all the whispers and stares and wants to start a life of cashmere sweaters and preppy frat boys.  Travis as a Fight Club member and the campus man-ho is too close to Vegas for Abby to even consider.  The story is so compelling and full of plot twists that I couldn't put it down.  This book has everything I usually hate fights, violence, borderline abuse, and characters to stubborn to admit they love each other.  But I absolutely loved this book and it will be one I re-read with frequency. 
Warning:  Travis and Abby are often like oil and water and at times Travis seems almost close to abuse.  He is definitely all Alpha Male.  So if this is not your thing, I don't think this book is for you.  But if you keep an open mind, you just might love it as I do anyway. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment